SAFERhome’s wonderful partners, friends and volunteers are dedicated to empower and protect all consumers who want a home to enhance their lifestyles and to make it a better real estate investment.
This manual has been made available to you through the support of Home Owner Protection Office and their seminar series Building Smart.
As our communities are evolving, we are experiencing a huge demographic shift with the aging of our population. The latest Statistics Canada figures reveal the number of older adults and seniors in our communities will continue to increase at unprecedented rates. By the year 2032, 48% of Canadians will be over 65 years old. Seniors traditionally use canes, walkers and scooters to maintain their independence. By building to SAFERhome Standards, half the community is directly served with appropriate housing to keep them safer, active and independent in their homes longer. As a bonus, everything we do for our aging parents works just as well for our children.
However, SAFERhome is more! Have you ever wanted a home that …
- is a “better” real estate investment,
- truly works to improve the physical safety of the whole family,
- can easily be changed to meet your family’s needs both now and in the future,
- is pre-wired to give you smart home style electrical options,
- is ready to be more energy efficient,
- offers ‘one-level living’ lifestyle in any multi-level design,
- is age-friendly for the young and old and allows for aging-in-place solutions,
- is built to the only measurable Universal standard in the world.
By adopting the SAFERhome Standards you can have it all. “Insist” on having anything you buy or build meet the SAFERhome certification criteria. If your builder or realtor says it’s there, ask them to “prove it”and make any deals subject to: “Written proof of successful SAFERhome Certification!”
The SAFERhome Standards are all within the existing Provincial and National Building Code. You now have a real housing choice of getting more in your home than the traditionally accepted minimum building standard. This manual shows you just how easy it is.
SAFERhome Standard is a measurable and tangible “Gold Standard” in Universal home design. Universal design is a way to build homes that work for all people – and simply put, it makes any home look better, work better, and worth more.